Human Traditions of Spirit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Kain
Kain
Admin
https://philosivox.forumotion.com

My Notion of a Sustainable Community  Empty My Notion of a Sustainable Community

Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:10 am
I haven't written in a while, much less posted, on account of heat induced brain drain. Having finally caught a weekend, this is my effort to get back in the swing of it. My personal idea of what a properly sustainable community can be is modeled after a plantation.

Plantations have a bad reputation because of muh slavery, and it is ill deserved. On the whole, the requisites for sustainability and profit are included in the basic model. All that is necessary is technology to bring it into present and future. The plantation includes a working farm, a small factory to produce necessary implements on site, and shelter for both governor and laborers. Both old world and future world would effectively be self contained communities.

Perhaps the most controversial aspect of my model is that I would avoid artificial intelligence entirely in mine. Rather than ease burdens by offloading onto robotics, my approach would be to retain positive human input and control at all traditional levels. Technology would be involved to maximize human efficiency,  not minimize or trivialize human involvement. As such, robotics would be directly human controlled, such as drones to inspect the fields periodically.

The ultimate ideal of this venture is for every product to be developed on site with goods from the immediate vicinity, much as today and historically. Unlike today, the plantation governor would have total say over the crops and products as well as farming methods. Efficiency and sustainability would be balanced with multiple crops raised simultaneously with an eye to soil health to minimize the need for fertilizers and chemicals.  This means that raised crops will not be decided by corporations,  but by the local communities with which trade occurs.

I will develop this idea further in future articles,  in the meantime this is the shell of my Republic. My ideal is a holistic and self reliant community,  and trade is conducted not to sustain and subside, but to supplement and complement because the needs are already met from within. Technology will not guide and enable, but support and assist.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum